Saturday, June 02, 2007

I am now a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo

I was promoted to 3rd Dan by Mr. James Londonberg of Family Martial Arts of Texas. Last week I received my Kukkiwon 3rd Dan certification from Grandmaster Sang Kim. I wanted to complete both tests even if one would have sufficed. Each Master has a different style of teaching and technique. They say no man should serve two masters and I learned why. It was very difficult to learn 2 different styles and ways of thinking, much less perform according to their desires at any given moment. I have spent the last 2 years improving my technique, teaching ability, confidence, and skill level. This particular exam at FMAT required me to break 3 boards in the air before landing. I chose to do a front split kick and a hammer fist. It seemed impossible but I worked hard at it and believed I could do it. I am now able to break boards placed at my shoulder level with my feet in full splits in the air. It was quite an accomplishment for me to learn this stunt and overcome my fear of falling. It was a great test of my mental confidence and hard work. I did it! YEAH!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

wurtz said...

Congratulations!!! You're awesome. I wish I could have been there.